Friday, April 22, 2016

G4 Wonderings during the field trip today

The Grade 4 students wrote down what they noticed and wondered about during the field trip today.


Cane shops


There are so many together all selling the same thing. I wonder why they are all in the same street?
I wonder when these shops started selling cane and furniture?
I wonder if the prices are same or different?
I wonder if this is there are other shops selling cane furniture? If yes - if they are cheaper / more expensive?
I wonder if the price is flexible? Can you negotiate?
I wonder if they make the cane furniture or buy it from someone else?
If they buy it and then sell out how do they make a profit?
I wonder how low they can go when you bargain?
I wonder if they are in competition or if they are friends?
I wonder if the furniture is made in Cambodia or imported from other countries?
I wonder if this is the cheapest furniture in Phnom Penh?
Is everything they sell made of cane?
I wonder which shop sells the most. Is it the biggest one or the one that is the first one you see on the street?
I wonder how many customers they have each day?
I wonder how they decide what price to sell things for?
Are they all exactly the same? Same product? Same quality?
I wonder how they work out the prices and remember the price?
I wonder if they charge different people different prices?
I wonder if the people in the shop are the boss or they just work there? If they work - I wonder how much they get paid if they do not sell anything?


Lucky Supermarket


I wonder how many Lucky shops there are in Cambodia?
I wonder if there are Lucky shops outside Cambodia? I have not seen any.
I wonder if the price is the same in all Lucky’s? Who decides the price?
There were not any customers in the other shops next to Lucky but lots of customers in Lucky. I wonder how many customers they have each day?
I wonder how they decide where to put things in the shop. There was a section of cans and a section of chips. Why not put them together?
I wonder why there is music?
I could not see rice? Why don’t they sell rice in Lucky?
Why are things so expensive?
I wonder how many products they sell? They have everything.
I wonder where they get their food from? Do they buy it at the market and then sell it or somewhere else?
I wonder why you cannot bargain? There is a set price on everything.
I wonder if they change their prices?
I wonder where they got the money to start this shop - the whole business?
I wonder how much money they make every day?
I wonder how much the whole business is worth?
I notice they sell a lot of junk food. I wonder why that is?
I wonder where the stock comes from?
I wonder how many people work there?
I wonder how much of their food is made in Cambodia and how much comes from other places?
I wonder how they transport the food?


Art shops on St 178


I wonder if they ever give art to display in the museum across the street?
I wonder if all the art is made by the same artist or many different artists?
Do they buy the art and then resell it or do they give the artist money after they have sold art?
I wonder how often they have customers? They were not many people there when we visited.
Some of the art is lots the same thing. I wonder why they have have so many of some types of art and only a few of other types?
I wonder if they make art that they think will sell or paint what or just what they want to paint?
One of the shops said FAIRLY TRADED. What does this mean? Are things really cheap?
Some of the prices were very expensive. Who would spend that much on a picture or a statue?
Why are there so many art shops in a row? Are they opposite the museum so they can get tourists to buy art?
I wonder if some of the art comes from students at the Art College across the road? I wonder if they are partners?
I wonder why some Buddha paintings are expensive and others are so cheap?
I wonder why they sell stuff right next to someone else who is selling the same thing?
I wonder if they make the statues out the back of the shop?
The ladies in the shops were not the owners. I wonder if they like working in an art shop? I wonder if they are artists too?
Some things in the shops were $1 and some things were $1000. I wonder who their customers are? Who would spend $1000?
I wonder if they have sales when the art is cheaper? I wonder how they choose what art to sell?

They also wrote down what they could see, hear, smell, taste and feel when in the BKK market.

BKK market


I see


  • Fresh, colorful vegetables
  • Accessories piled on top of each other
  • Meat sitting on a wooden board
  • Sparkly jewelry in glass counters and hanging on string
  • Big plastic tubs full of fish and ice
  • Dead pigs laying on a table
  • Piles of rubbish, dirty floors, lots of trash
  • Shopkeepers watching the customers
  • Dead animals - not even sure what they are
  • Skinny chickens hanging on hooks
  • People selling things and counting money - big bundles of Riel.
  • Fish flipping in buckets, gasping for air
  • People eating and talking
  • Ladies having their hair washed and nails cut
  • Shampoo and perfumes
  • Hearts in a metal bowl
  • Fruit piled high on the floor
  • Food everywhere


I hear


  • People chattering, talking, laughing
  • Chopping, scraping and loud voices
  • People bargaining
  • Crying
  • A lady talking about thin sales
  • Serving food
  • Fish splatting
  • Fish flapping in a metal bowl


I smell


  • Meat, parts of animals, pigs
  • Leather shoes
  • Dead fish, ripe fish,
  • Donuts cooking
  • Fresh mangoes
  • Raw meat - does not smell good
  • Spicy soup and noodles


I taste


  • Mango in my mouth
  • Meat flavours
  • Sweat from my head
  • My mouth is dry so I swallow
  • Spit in my dry mouth
  • Fish smell is making me taste fish


I feel


  • The fresh air as we get to the exit
  • Sad for all the animals
  • The heat on my skin
  • Full because I ate snacks on the bus
  • Relaxed and happy
  • Excited - the market is so interesting
  • Scared of the meats and fish shops
  • Sorry for the fish that are alive and flapping
  • Really hot. I can’t wait to get back on the air conditioned bus
  • Sweaty. My shirt is sticking to my back
  • Uncomfortable. Everyone is too close
  • Hot and stinky
  • SO hot











































No comments:

Post a Comment